January 2010 Wordcount Goal: 73,000

Monday, January 18, 2010

Janowrimo 2010: Day 18 Good intentions aren't enough

I woke up yesterday and infused the day with good intentions. I wrote a small amount while still in bed before I even put my feet on the floor. I planned to participate in Scribblerati's Sunday Write-A-Thon, even showed up. But my brain wouldn't connect the words, let alone the plot, and my good intentions dribbled away.

Intentions without actions are like that. They're nice to have but when they lack the strong girding of a plan they fade as quickly as they appear. I didn't take the steps I should have to make sure my intentions became actualities. I had no focus. I allowed distractions to overtake my initial morning enthusiasm. In the end I didn't glue my butt to the chair and make it happen.

How about you? Have you had good intentions this January only to find the days frittering away? What do you do in response to a good intention gone bad?

2 comments:

Nighfala said...

My good intentions have been to declutter my house during my semester break. Today is the last day of my break, so my plan is to at least make some progress in the office.

Those intentions got frittered away by houseguests over the holidays and being quite sick the first week of Jan. That was a good excuse to write, since I didn't have the energy for anything else. But I have no excuse for last week. I was just lazy. However, I have been trying to spend time with my husband and son, as well. DH is off of work right now, so we saw Avatar together, for example. It's rare for us to be able to do that.

I got my writing out of the way this morning. I woke up at 4 and worked until 6. A lot of it is cut-and-paste from a previous draft. I'm glad now I made myself work on it last semester.

Good luck to you, Vikk! I don't know what draft you are on, but I know the first couple were really difficult. Now I'm on the fifth and it's much easier.

vikk simmons said...

"Frittering," that's a good word to describe the process, isn't it? The last two days have been a bust for me and today is busy with dog training and doctor visits so I doubt today will be much better.

So glad you and your husband were able to spend some quality time together. Good for you.

I'm mucking about on the first draft. I need to finish it so I can get to the next one. Trying not to get too irritated with myself.