January 2010 Wordcount Goal: 73,000

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

And then the fire starts

Have you ever been writing a scene and end it on a sudden high note with an incident that you had not planned? That happened to me before during the writing of my teen novel, Divided Loyalties. I was cruising along, the plot humming, and suddenly I had a full-fledged fire on my hands and the end of the chapter. I had absolutely no idea what to do next. So, true to form, I decided to sleep on it. The next day I had a character call the fire department and quickly put the incindiery incident out and went on with my story--allowing for a few new twists and turns along the way.

Something similar happened today. I've ended with an abrupt insight into one of the characters that is totally new. The plot thickens; the word count climbs.

Drop by my blog on writing and publishing at Down the Writer's Path.

No comments: