January 2010 Wordcount Goal: 73,000

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Rule number two: watch out for the universe

I believe it's Joseph Campbell who talks about the danger of announcing your intentions to the universe. It's a bit like waving a red flag in front of a bull: within seconds the bull charges.

Often announced intentions bring sudden changes and unexpected events that may, no matter how hard you try, throw you off target. With the new unveiling of a Whirlpool-on-steroids concept, I found it hard to continue writing the story in the same vein as before the workshop. I also realized that the new version didn't need any of the material I had written so far. Now, it's true, I could have simply started over but I ran into a new problem because I couldn't find any ground to grab hold of in order to begin the new concept.

Maybe it's because I was so depleted from the trip to the workshop. Perhaps it's also because any little bit of creativity I do manage to generate I must use up on the job--a writing one--to get the current project finished on time. I guess I'll just have to see how the days go from here on out.

Drop by my blog on writing and publishing at
Down the Writer's Path.

No comments: