January 2010 Wordcount Goal: 73,000

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Finally a beginning is in sight

I'm pleased to report that I've finally caught a glimpse of a possible new opening. It definitely means the pages I wrote early on will go the way of fodder, but they've served a purpose if only in that they've gotten me to this point.

I've had to revisit the story and take a good look at how it's changed and redefined its core. It's the same story but it's not. So now I need open the action earlier and allow the reader a chance to get to know the characters more. That sympathetic link needs to be forged between the reader and the protagonist.

This feels good. I'm back on track now.

Although I doubt I'll finish the required wordcount for the NaNoWriMo, I've definitely done the right thing in rethinking the process and going the way of writing out-of-sequence scenes and details for they've helped sharpen my image of the story. I'll press on.

Drop by my blog on writing and publishing at
Down the Writer's Path.

No comments: