January 2010 Wordcount Goal: 73,000

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

In search of the unexpected-day 2

Ended the day at the stroke of midnight with a total of 4,069 words and 16 pages. that's another 1,231 words and three more pages.

I spent a lot of time rolling the storyline around and thinking about the characters, but in the actual writing I'm still concentrating on the opening scenes. Each time I open the file I reread what I've written and add a word here, subtract a phrase and expand and flesh out the characters and scenes. I definitely have two viewpoint characters, maybe a third, but one is the primary viewpoint character.

Maas talks a lot about reversals and surprises. He cautions against accepting the first one or two ideas you have for a scene and suggests you push for the unexpected, even a reversal. So I'm looking at that, trying to see if I can come up with a fresh slant, one that will jack up the originality factor. I spent a lot of time in the Homicide detective's viewpoint tonight. I let him weigh, consider, even imagine the murder.

Tomorrow I'm going to explore the dynamics of the main character, the mother, who's son is suspected of murder. I think there's a lot of subtext and inherent conflict going on between the two, so I plan to bring them together and squeeze.

G'night, folks.

Drop by my blog on writing and publishing at
Down the Writer's Path.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not 'letting go' of 'that editor in your head.'